Region: New Nordic Diet in Europe (Belarus)
Main components: eggs, sugar, strawberries, sour cream, wheat flour
Estimated cooking time: 2 hours
I have found the recipe of this cake about 5 years ago: Cake ‘Strawberry masterpiece’. With years this cake became traditional for my family – I cook it only once a year for the my Aunt’s birthday – she loves it!
- Eggs – 7
- Sugar – 200g
- Wheat flour – 120g
- Potato starch – 75g
- Egg white – 2
- Sugar – 100g
- Sour cream (20% fat) – 300g
- Strawberries – 400g
Decoration cream (I made double portion):
- Egg white – 1
- Sugar – 100g
How to cook:
Sponge cake: you can just cook your favourite sponge cake. If you never baked sponge cakes before, I would recommend to google detailed steps.
- Eggs: split whites and yolks.
- Whisk yolks with 100g of sugar – they should become creamy and change color (become white).
- Whisk whites with 100g of sugar till stiff peaks.
- Mix wheat flour with potato starch, sift the mix.
- Add yolks to whites, after – add flour with starch and mix gently.
- Cover the bottom of cake pan with parchment paper (only bottom, not sides).
- Put the dough into the pan.
- Bake the cake in preheated oven (180 C degrees) about 40-45 minutes. Do not open the oven in the first 30 minutes!
- Cool cake (I left it for night)
Cream: original recipe tells to whisk whites with sugar and add sour cream. If you afraid of raw whites (as me), change the recipe a bit:
- From egg whites and sugar make Swiss meringue: Swiss meringue YouTube video
- Cool the meringue
- Add sour cream and gently mix (do not blend)
Cream for decoration: using ingredients for decoration cream, make Swiss meringue (described in ‘Cream’ section)
- Ready sponge cake cut in half (or on three layers).
- On the first layer put cream, after – strawberries, after – cream again. Cover with the second layer. Repeat with remain layer.
- Cover with cream for decoration
- Decorate as you wish 🙂 The easiest way is just to put some strawberries on the top. This year my brother was decorating the cake: he made a heart from raspberries and cherries with mint leaves and chocolate chips for borders.
- And a piece (photo from the previous year; this year cake was eaten too fast)