Region: New Nordic Diet in Europe (Belarus)
Main components: beet green, beetroot, potato, tomato, onion, carrot
Estimated cooking time: 30 minutes
This soup my Mum cooks in the beginning of every summer: beetroot is still very young, so you can use whole vegetable.
- Tomatoes – 100 g (1 small tomato)
- Onion – 60 g (1 small onion)
- Potatoes – 160 g (2 potatoes)
- Carrots – 130 g
- Dill – 15 g
- Beet greens & root – 300 g
- Water – 1.5l
- Canola oil – 1 teaspoon
- Salt, pepper – to taste
How to cook:
- Prepare vegetables.
- Split beetroot and green.
- Cut beet green, potatoes, onion, tomato and dill into pieces.
- Grate beetroot and carrot.
- Fry carrot with onion and tomato for 3-4 minutes (use canola oil).
- Add beetroot and cook 5 minutes more.
- Boil the water.
- Put potatoes into the water and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Add fried vegetables and cook 15 minutes more.
- Add beet green and cook 5 minutes more.
- Soup can be served immediately or can be left for 1-2 hours to make the flavor and color more intensive.
Tip: Add a teaspoon of sour cream into the soup – try usual Russian way to eat soups from beetroot 🙂